Pages

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Spring Cleaning

Spring is here and it's time for a little cleaning. The emotional kind!  Yep that's right, this past week has been all about dealing with emotional challenges without eating!  (OMG, this is a transformation!)


I'm calling this Spring Cleaning ... it's the process of recognizing the emotion behind the eating and working to really understand it and bring it to light. Emotional eating is a shadowy subject.  But a few things are known for sure.

When you're craving salt many times it's because you're angry.  When you're craving sugar it's to mask some kind of sadness.  Usually I crave both!  Like yesterday at Trader Joe's ... it was one of the frustrating days in general, where nothing goes according to plan, where parking is a struggle, the store is packed and has nothing I came for save for organic apples!

Suddenly I heard the evil muppets saying, 'just take a look around.  oooh there are some yummy salt and vinegar chips .... aaahhh and some Druid circles ... those would be good right now.  At least this trip won't be for nothing. "  Yikes!  I almost fell for it!

Then I stopped for a moment and realized, ok, I'm sad they don't have Daffodils for my Mom and I'm pissed off because I have to get up and go tomorrow at the crack of dawn to get them!  (hence the sugar and salt)  Once I shined a light on the emotions the voices of the muppets all but disappeared!  And miracle of miracles, I chose NOT TO EAT!

Thanks to my new-found awareness, I was able to sweep away the cravings and stay on track.  My 'willpower' was fortified with knowledge of my emotional makeup.  This is the purpose of Spring Cleaning!

How will you clean your emotional closets this season?

1 comment:

  1. Been doing some spring cleaning...emotional cleaning...life cleaning myself lately. Doesn't it just feel GREAT?!!!!

    ReplyDelete